Disney picked up a series from former executive Kory Lunsford based on a series of books, Pretty Scary Freekin, slated for a debut next summer on disney channel and Disney+.
What is happening:
- Disney would have taken over the series, Pretty Scary Freekin, as a multi-camera sitcom based on CakeStart Entertainment’s popular book series of the same name.
- CakeStart Entertainment is currently led by President Kory Lunsford, who served for a long time as Vice President of Original Series at Disney until his departure to join the new CakeStart.
- Pretty Freekin Scary follows the adventures of Frankie Ripp, a 14-year-old girl who leads a seemingly perfect life – great parents, annoying little brother, lifelong best friend – until her death. After a heated underworld debate with the Grim Reaper herself, Frankie is allowed to return home, but only if accompanied by her new underworld guardians, Pretty and Scary. Frankie will now have to adjust to her “once dead” status in the toughest setting of all… college.
- The series stars Eliana Su’a (Fast and Furious: Hobbs & Shaw) as Frankie, Kyan Samuels (Game stirrers) as Jolie, Leah Mei Gold (side hustle) as Scary, Yonas Kibreab (Pixar’s Elio) as Remy, and Emma Shannon (Virtuous Gemstones) like Nyx.
- Production is reportedly already underway on the series, and the 20-episode first season is currently set to debut in summer 2023 on Disney Channel and Disney+.
What they say :
- Kory Lunsford: “Millions of children and families around the world share the deep appreciation I have for the Disney brand and the kinds of imaginative, inspiring and relevant stories and interesting characters that reflect this brand and the world in which we live. We’re excited to kick off this creative endeavor with a show like Pretty Freekin Scary, which takes me back to my Disney Channel roots.
- Jane Gould, EVP Content Research Insights and Scheduling, Disney General Entertainment: “Frankie is charming to watch as she figures out how to adjust to her new ‘life’ and her friends in such unusual and unexpected circumstances. Playing with traditionally serious subject matter adds a unique twist to the storytelling, creating a comedy fun and quirky that fits perfectly on our linear and streaming platforms.
Coverage for Halloween 2022 is brought to you by shopDisney